Monday, March 16, 2015

Not just fit... HEALTHY

When I first started this blog I had the intention of being "fit". In my mind this meant skinny, muscle tone, balanced diet etc ... Ever since the birth of my son, my views of being fit have turned towards health.

I have been hyper aware of the products entering my body and to be honest, I am disgusted by what I have been finding. BPA lining most plastics and canned goods leaching toxins, fluoride causing thyroid dysfunction, parabens, and the list goes on all leaching their toxins into me, my husband and our sweet boy. Not to mention the myriad of preservatives and don't even get me started on GMO's! Our world today is not the world our parents grew up in and it's scary for me as a mother to think I am poisoning my son with everyday products.

This summer I plan on going " back to nature" cutting all the fake garbage out of my families life and documenting each step along the way. I don't think I am smarter or better than anyone else by doing this, I am just a mom who is horrified by the realities of our world. I want to make a difference in this world but I can't change anything if I don't change me and my family first.

So, as for the plan...
I have already got a HUGE headstart on this whole project by starting my garden. (All organic and heirloom seeds this year!) Why eat something I cannot grow? Not only will this garden be big enough to feed my family from but I also get to control the quality of our food and it will be so much more nutritious because its fresh and picked ripe. Not to mention we will be lessening our carbon footprint.

The next step will be to go through my food cupboards. Alas, it is time to let go of all my snacks *sigh* goodbye my dear convenient salty and sweet friends. Anything with a preservative must go! As well as bleached flour and those nasty BPA lined canned goods. Now I'm sure you are asking at this point "But Kaitlin, doesn't that mean you will be grocery shopping all the time? There will be nothing in your pantry!" Well do not fret my dear friends I have a wonderful solution.. Canning and pickling in glass jars! I should have such an abundance this summer from my garden I will give my mason jars some much needed love. My pantry will be stocked with dried beans, grains, seeds and nuts as well as my own canned goods!

And last, but certainly not least is my bathroom cabinets and beauty regimen. So many harmful chemicals are leached into our skin through soaps, lotions and even toothpaste! My plan is by trial and error finding all natural recipes for my bathroom products. I will also be looking for an organic and non harmful makeup line for myself and possibly trying out some alternatives to tampons.

This should be a very trying and rewarding next few months. I am basically taking my families way of life and turning it completely upside down. I firmly believe I am doing what is best for my family and I look forward to our more natural and holistic way of life. Has anyone else gone through such a drastic change like this? What was your experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment